Authoring - Question Writing GuideHow to write great online questions.
If you have Question Authoring enabled within your Med-Challenger account, we recommend you follow these tips when creating your own questions.
Question Writing Tips:
- Craft each question to "stand on its own" in that everything needed to answer the question (e.g. full case description, images, labs) is in the question stem.
- Assessments randomize questions by default, so if you have multiple questions referring to the same case, restate the complete clinical case situation in each question stem.
- Avoid inferred references to other questions in your stems that can befuddle randomized test takers, such as:
- "in the previous question"
- "based on your previous choice"
- directions or references to any outside-of-this-stem resources, including external websites.
- Sequential numbering is automatically applied in assessments. There is no need to add sequential question numbers to each stem.
- Your question titles (Name) will not be seen by end users. Use titles for your own internal reference (i.e. the question's case subject, learning objective, source info, etc)
- Post-answer remediation (answer explanations) should include detailed case practice rationales including why each respective answer option is correct or incorrect along with supportive content reference information.
- Save your work before moving on to another question, switching platform features or closing your browser. Save prompts will alert you before you exit the question editor.
- Question Library Search filters on both Question Name text and any applied keyword Tags.
- Organize your questions in folders. Your folder organization will be reflected in Custom Exam Builder menus. Select "Custom Questions" as your question source when creating a custom exam.
- Click "Undo" to revert any errant drag-and-drop actions.
You can copy/paste pre-formatted text and text from webpages into the question content.
Hyperlinks to outside resources are only allowed in post-question remediation answer explanations.
Any remediation hyperlinks to external sources will open in a new window.
Figure: My Questions list, Question Authoring Tools
Need additional support?
If you are still having problems, you can request support from a live support representative.
If your request is received when our offices are closed, a response will be provided the next available business day we are open.
We can also be contacted by phone at 800-676-0822, Option 2, during regular business hours (8 AM - 5 PM Central Time, Monday - Friday excepting holidays.)