Don’t forget ABEM’s LLSA 2017 expiration date (April 1, 2020) while submerged in the Coronavirus Pandemic!The 2017 lifelong learning and self-assessment (LLSA) exam will be retired on April 1st, 2020.
Amidst the extra demand placed on emergency physicians during the coronavirus pandemic, it is easy to overlook the looming American Board of Emergency Medicine (ABEM) deadline for the 2017 lifelong learning and self-assessment exam. The LLSA 2017 exam will be retired on April 1st, 2020.
ABEM-certified physicians who will still follow the ConCert™ exam pathway (versus the newer/upcoming MyEMCert pathway) must complete four LLSA activities in each five-year period of their ten-year certification cycle by taking four annual, open-book, unproctored tests over five years. The test changes every year and is based on the ABEM reading list assigned for that particular year. Physicians can skip one year’s test every five years. Every year’s test remains available for 3 years and then is permanently removed.
The LLSA 2017 test will be removed on April 1, 2020. Read more about LLSA Test Requirements on the ABEM website.
Emergency physicians get in trouble when they postpone taking one of these tests during a later year and then forget to do so. Often, they remember when signing in on April 1 to take the next year’s exam and then discover in their profile that they forgot to take a past exam that they need for their ABEM requirements.
When It's LLSA Crunch Time
There are many good LLSA prep or review products out there when time is not of the essence. However, when only hours are left for taking an expiring ABEM LLSA exam, I have found the online summaries of Med-Challenger LLSA to be a particularly quick and dependable solution towards passing the test without any review.
In my experience, the Med-Challenger LLSA summaries:
- Are the only product in the industry that are sufficiently detailed to allow for finding the vast majority of the answers without ever having to refer to the original LLSA articles – a HUGE time-saver.
- Provide an online format that makes the summaries searchable for key words while taking the test (just keep the summaries open in a separate window; completely legitimate because it is an open book test). This allows for quick and confident answers without ever having to read the summaries.
- Include links to the original articles and their tables and graphs (a frequent source of ABEM test questions), just in case a particular article summary does not capture a detail required to answer the test question – allowing for a perfect score in a short amount of time.
- Include online summaries and LLSA exam prep for all active years of LLSA (yearly article sets) with new LLSA sets added each year so you'll have every active LLSA available in one spot, year after year.
May this be helpful to EM physicians trying to maintain ABEM certification even during the coronavirus crisis, which can easily distract from the looming 2017 LLSA deadline.
Parting Advice - The Original Goal of LLSA
The annual ABEM LLSA articles compiled for emergency physicians set many practice standards.
Once the urgency of taking the expiring exam is over, it is prudent to actually read the entire summary - and - answer the Med-Challenger LLSA test prep questions at the end – this not only provides CME credits, but also assures that the original goal of LLSA is fulfilled: ABEM-certified emergency physicians practice according to published standards and are up-to-date on current changes.
And… subscribing to Med-Challenger LLSA will lead to never having to postpone an LLSA exam again – the summaries allow confident passing of the exam in a very short amount of time.
ABEM LLSA Review SubscriptionArticles and Exam Review for Annual ABEM MOC Lifelong Learning Self-Assessment LLSA Requirements
The best ABEM LLSA articles and LLSA exam prep subscription for all active ABEM LLSA exams, an ongoing annual ABEM MOC requirement.
- Full ABEM LLSA articles PDFs for all LLSA reading lists
- Robust summaries that give in-depth analysis of each ABEM LLSA article
- Editor's Key Point synopses for quicker uptake and greater takeaway value
- Earn up to 100 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- Includes NEW LLSAs every year with active Premium Membership
Get LLSA's every year - and everything else with EM PRO.Med-Challenger's EM PRO Bundle provides everything you need in emergency medicine.
Med-Challenger EM PRO BundleEverything in Emergency Medicine
EM PRO VALUE BUNDLE - Everything emergency medicine physicians need for knowledge excellence, ABEM exam review, annual MOC requirements, including annual LLSAs and specialty CME credits, over their entire career - for one great value price.
$3372 in value. You save over 40%.
Ideal use of your CME Budget!
Call 1-800-676-0822 or firstname.lastname@example.org
If you already own any of the titles in EM PRO, contact us for special discounts and upgrade pricing.
EM PRO bundle includes:
CME Credit Totals:
- 646 AMA PRA Category 1 CME Credits
- 60 ACEP-approved CME Credits
- 53 AAP Category 1 CME Credits
- 53 ABP MOC Part II CME Credits
Kristy Johnson, MD
EM PRO is the best medical education purchase I've ever made. Pays off every year.
More from Med-ChallengerThe Leader in Online Board Review, CME Courses, and Medical Education
Did you like this?
Get more free medical Q&A and informative CME articles.
Subscribe to the Medical Education Blog
More from Med-Challenger's Medical Education Blog
Don’t Forget ABEM’s LLSA 2017 Expiration Date (April 1, 2020) while Submerged in the Coronavirus Pandemic!March 21, 2020
End-of-Life Care, Field-Death and Death Pronouncement Board Review Questions: CME Quick QuizMarch 20, 2020
Tips for a Successful Early Clinical Career for Residents, Fellows, and New Board-Certified CliniciansMarch 19, 2020
Board Review & CME Offers
Med-Challenger provides online medical education, top-rated board review courses, annual MOC and CME credit solutions for physicians, nurses, PAs and students. Take advantage of our current offers.
Limited time special offers.
Spring CME Event
PROCareer Value Bundles
The best value.
in your specialty.
Useful every year.
Ideal use your CME budget.
Buy or upgrade ONCE.
Save up to 55% and save time, money, and stress - every year.